The family histories and biographical sketches contained here come from many sources. We thank all the families or individuals that have donated the material.
Some of the histories are taken from “Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin”, Chicago; J. H. Beers & Co. 1895. Individuals frequently paid a fee to have their names and families included in publications of this type. They are, however, great sources of genealogy information.
Another source has been the Stevens Point Daily Journal and the Portage County Gazette. In the May 19, 1992 issue of the Stevens Point Daily Journal a section commemorating the 150th Anniversary of Portage County contained a collection of Family Vignettes.
Family Vignettes -- taken from the May 19, 1992 Stevens Point Journal on the 150th anniversary of Portage County. Each page contains several family histories written by a family member. Some articles are very short, others more lengthy, some with a picture.
|Abbot, Behrendt, Bliss, Brilowski, Borgan|
|Buelow, Bulgrin, Copa/Sopa, Cyra|
|Demmerly/Jacobs, Dudzik, Cisewski, Erickson|
|Glennon, Glodosky, Anton Glodowski, John Glodowski|
|Gollon, Grant, Green, Groshek|
|Grothe, Helbach, Hickey, Jeffers|
|Johnson, Kawleski, Kluck, Kollock|
|Konkol, Kussman, Loberg, Mayer|
|Neumann, Newby/Geemes, Pentergast, Printz|
|Rinka, Rogers, Schultz, Shaurette|
|Steffanus, Stoltz, Trzebiatowski, Tufte|
|John Wysocki, Frank Wysocki, Whipple|
- Col. James Alban -- Biography written by Justin Isherwood
- Barnsdale -- Circus performers
- Nobility in Portage County -- Count Sigismund Bielski, Friederich Emmerich Von Ingwersen
- Jackson Calkins -- pioneer of Amherst Township
- Judge George Cate -- second lawyer in Plover
- Stella Helen Wojtalewicz Cychosz -- remembers 'way back when'
- The Dale or Dael Family
- Ingeborg Davidsdtr -- Norwegian-American Wisconsin Artist, 2 parts.
- Dehlinger -- Chronicles of Dorothy
- John Dubay and his wives -- a Brief History of John DuBay and Who where Dubay's wives?
- Albert G. Ellis -- and newspapers
- Engford Family -- Well known Circus family
- George W. Franklin -- One of County's first potato growers and brokers
- Eli Grannis -- early Pine Grove Township settler
- Darius Green -- the most successful farmer in Belmont Township
- William Gustin -- a prominent farmer of Almond Township
- Mary Stella Sutter Haag -- Recalls Christmas
- Halverson Diary -- description of diary. Enter diary will be online in future.
- James Isherwood -- a leading and influential farmer of Plover Township, Portage County
- Kent -- Murder case in Belmont township
- Anton J. Kawleski -- Saga of a River Pilot
- Andrew Lamphear -- Story of a WWI veteran
- Nels J. Loberg -- a prominent Nelsonville businessman
- James Paris Lee -- inventor of the Lee-Enfield rifle mechanism
- Harry Marciniak -- Business Agent for Teamster Local 354
- Scott McCormick -- remembers his father and uncles
- McMillan -- Benjamin F. and Charles V.
- Thomas Morgan -- successful farmer in Lanark Township
- Jerome Nelson -- Founder of Nelsonville
- Nelson Cabin -- located at Sunset Lake
- Edwin Ostrowski -- Great Lakers Sailor, Ed's 36 years on ore ships.
- Charles A. Pofahl, Jr.-- Looking Back Into the Woods
- Antoine Precourt -- Highly esteemed pioneer in Buena Vista Township
- Robert Precourt -- Bob searches for family roots
- Theresa Westphal Rohlinger -- Recalls Christmas
- Rosholt Family -- Brief history of John G. Rosholt and grandson Malcolm.
- Sutherland - Stephenson Family--
- Matthew Wadleigh -- early pioneer and Railroad Director
- Robert Wakely -- one of the first settlers in Portage County. Although Pointe Basse is now located in Wood County his story is interesting to read.
- Old Waubie -- early settlers knew this Native American well.