THE CHURCH HISTORY OF BEREA BAPTIST CHURCH
... as learned through verbal and written memories. We have not found
any old photographs of our building.
The old church building was first moved onto the present site in the
late 1800’s. The brick structure was then a part of the Christian church
denomination. The brick exterior exists today under the present siding.
The old stone foundation is still very strong. At some point, the church
building was then changed to be a part of the Free Methodist Church
In September 1959, Rev. & Mrs. Elvin Storey of Hiawatha Baptist
Missions, moved to Whiting for the purpose of starting an independent
Baptist church. The first service was held in October of 1959, in a
rented store building in Whiting.
The property at 2216 Ellis Street was purchased in August 1962, along
with a parsonage at 2516 Center Street.
Upon the resignation of Rev. Story in 1963, Rev. Stanley Lightfoot,
Hr. was called as Pastor. The Bible Baptist Church was officially
organized November 8, 1966. The church was accepted into the Wisconsin
Association of Regular Baptist Churches on April 1, 1968. The church was
received into the fellowship of the General Association of Regular
Baptist Churches, June 24, 1968.
The parsonage on Center Street was sold January 1968, and the house
at 2209 Ellis Street was purchased for a parsonage.
Upon the resignation of Rev. Lightfoot, in 1971, Rev. Robert Trylick
was called as Pastor and began his ministry September 12, 1971. In 1974,
the name of the church was changed by vote of the membership to Berea
Baptist Church. The name was selected because of the desire to be like
those in the Bible passage of Acts 17:10 & 11.
In 1975, Rev. Trylick resigned to Pastor another Baptist church. Rev.
Arthur Mann was called to begin his ministry, April 8, 1975. In April
1977, a ground-breaking service was held and construction of an
adjoining building was begun. The church membership voted in January
1978, to become a self-supporting church by April 16, 1978. This
celebration and graduation from Mission status service was held April
In 1983, the parsonage at 2209 Ellis St. was sold and the house at
2224 Ellis St. was purchased for a parsonage. Three other Pastors &
families served Berea until 1989. In 1990, Pastor Earl E. Swigart began
ministry at Berea. In 1995, the property at 2208 Ellis St. was purchased
for future expansion as blessed by God.