Church and parish histories give insight into a region's ethnic development. Since the predominant ethnic group in Portage County Wisconsin is Polish, Catholic Churches dot the countryside.
- Early Churches -- reminders of home
- Religions in Portage County -- Written in 1969. This is the most complete survey of county churches we have. This article has been broken into two parts: Catholic and Protestant including Jewish.
Catholic Church Histories
- St. Adalbert's -- Located just outside Rosholt (brief history).
- St. Bartholomew -- Located at Mill Creek.
- St. Bronislava's -- Located in Plover (brief history).
- St. Casimir -- located north of Stevens Point.
- Sacred Heart -- Polonia.
- St. James -- Amherst
- St. Joseph -- This church has its own web site with history. And a brief history here.
- St. Martin -- a brief history of this Ellis Catholic Church.
- St. Mary's of Custer --
- St. Mary's of Torun --
- St Mary's of Carmel -- Fancher
- St Maximilian Kolbe -- Almond
- St Michael -- Junction City
- Newman Catholic Parish -- affiliated with UWSP.
- St. Patrick's --
- St. Peter -- this parish is the best document Catholic Church in the county with histories for its first 50 years, 75 years, and 100 years. And a brief history here. St Peter's now has their own web site.
- St. Stanislaus -- A history and this church has its own web site.
- St. Stephen -- This church has own web site. And a brief history here.
Lutheran Church Histories
The history of the Lutheran churches in the northeastern part of the county
is particularly interesting. The area was settled primarily by Norwegian and
Danish emigrants. Malcolm Rosholt has written two articles, "A
Brief History" and "In the
Process of Time" outlining the history of these Norwegian churches, their
dissention, and eventually reuniting. Included in these articles is information
about Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church, Faith Lutheran, North New
Hope, South New Hope, Concordia Lutheran, Christ Church in Galloway (Marathon
County), and Alban Church.
- Benson Corner Lutheran
- Concordia Church -- located in Rosholt.
- Divine Word Lutheran Church
- Faith Lutheran Church -- located in Alban.
- Nelsonville Lutheran Church --
- North New Hope Lutheran --
- Peace Lutheran Church -- located in Amherst.
- South New Hope Lutheran --
- St John Lutheran Church -- Almond
- St. John Lutheran Church -- Kellner
- St. Paul Lutheran Church-- Stevens Point. A brief history is located here.
- St Paul Lutheran Church -- located in Amherst
- St Paul Lutheran Church -- located in Junction City
- Trinity Lutheran -- has their own website. Originally known as the Norwegian Evangelical Congregation located in Stevens Point. A brief history located here.
- Amherst Methodist Church -- celebrated its 100 anniversary in 1953 and a brief history here.
- Plover United Methodist Church -- celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1993 and a brief history here.
- St. Paul Methodist Church -- originally Methodist Episcopal Church located in Stevens Point.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church -- located in Stevens Point.
- Methodist Church in Buena Vista.
- Berea Baptist Church -- located in Stevens Point.
- First Baptist Church -- located in Stevens Point.
- Bible Baptist Church -- located in Stevens Point
- Church of the Intercession -- Episcopal Church. First church in Stevens Point. Brief history here.
- Olaf Episcopal Mission -- located in Amherst
- Frame Memorial Presbyterian Church -- Located in Stevens Point. Brief history here.
- First Church of Christ, Scientist -- located in Stevens Point. Brief history here.
- First Presbyterian Church -- began as Congregational Church in Stevens Point.
- Peace United Church of Christ -- also known as Friedens Germeinde, German Evangelical Friedens Church, Peace Evangelical Church, and Reformed Church located in Stevens Point.
- Jehovah's Witness -- located in Stevens Point
- Church of Christ -- located in Stevens Point
- Assembly of God -- Stevens Point
- Jewish Faith - View photos of the synagogue Beth Israel Congregation