Engford Photo Galleries and Videos
Frank Clark and Ruthie (Engford) Clark worked under the names of "Francarro & Estreleta" for over 35 years. Read about their helicopter wedding here, and watch the video! Ruthie had a number of films converted to DVD and donated them to the Portage County Historical Society. Many of the films were taken by amateur movie takers in 8mm format without sound. Interesting to watch none the less.
Access to the many photo galleries is within their respective pages. For convenience, links to all the galleries is provided here.
- Robert Engford
The Forges Brothers The Clown Act.
Back Lot Photos - most of these photos were taken in 1928, a few in 1929. Please see the 1928 Schedule for stops. Unfortunately, we cannot connect photos with stops.
- Harry Engford
Harry's practice handstands.
Early Harry and Lois.
Performance at Circus World Museum
- Florence Engford
Her early career
Florence Roberts Act
The videos are presented in Microsoft Silverlight format. This is a cross platform, multi-browser system that will run on all modern browsers. If it does not function download the plug-in.
Frank performed his solo act beginning in 1963. The following videos are featured.
- Noble Trio 1959. (2:47 minutes)
- Atlanta, Georgia, 1963. This was Frank's first real performance. His real "first" performance was on Bozo's Clown program in Chicago earlier this year. (4 minutes)
- Francarro with Billy Smart Circus, Black Heath, England 1964 (6:40 minutes)
- Other Billy Smart Circus act at Black Heath England 1964. (8 minutes)
- Paris 1965. This is a compilation of performances taken over several days. (10 minutes)
- The rest of the video. Views around the performance hall and some the other acts. (14 minutes)
The Engfords at Circus World Museum 1965
The Engfords, Harry and Lois with Ruthie, performed their last two years (1964-'65) at Circus World Museum. Their long time friend Eldon "Buster" Bailey (obit) took the only known videos of "The Engfords" act and that of Ruthie's "Estreleta" trapeze act.
- The Engfords - a compilation of several performances that demonstrates the skill involved in their performances. (11 minutes)
- Estreleta - Ruthie's first solo act. A compilation of several performances. (11 minutes)
- The other acts performing at Circus World Museum. (11 minutes)
Francarro & Estreleta
Frank Clark and Ruthie Engford began performing their helicopter act in the summer of 1966. The tragic death of their pilot in 1968 ended their helicopter act.
- Helicopter act taken by Buster Bailey a few days before their wedding. (2:30 minutes)
- Wedding Sept. 17, 1966. (8:36 minutes)
Beginning in late 1968, Frank and Ruthie began performing indoor and outdoor engagements. The following videos attempts to show the variety of acts and conditions they performed in. Frank, being a trained engineer, designed and built the equipment necessary to perform in these varied conditions.
- Green Bay, Wisconsin 1986. Foot juggling. (4:30 minutes)
- Green Bay, Wisconsin 1986. Aerial act. (6:15 minutes)
- Caesar's Palace - Lake Tahoe, Nevada. August 1987, Emmett Kelly Circus. Parley Baer appears as Ringmaster. (6 minutes)
- Winnipeg, interview and aerial act. (2 minutes)
- Santa's Christmas Show Dec. 30, 1992. Mt. St. Joseph College, Cincinnati, Ohio. (5:40 minutes)
- "The Brigadier" Sarasota Circus Festival and Parade 1992. (7:12 minutes)
- Taped in Pomona California 1972. Frank had to adapt the rigging to allow for performing over the Grandstand rather then in the infield. (2:47 minutes)