- Life During the Depression -- by Julie Lassa.
- Okray Family Farm -- a family run potato farm in Plover.
- Local Indian Names
- Portage County Road Story -- George Whitney travels from New Brunswick, Canada to Knowlton, Nov. 1868.
- Early Post Offices in Portage County
- Hush My Babe --first court case in Portage County.
- Indian Scare 1862-- Mrs. Florence Whitney's account of 1862.
- Early settlers -- settlers that applied for naturalization.
- Ice Man Cometh -- Story of ice making.
- Personalities of Cemeteries
- Blacks in Portage County -- first references to African Americans in the county.
- Portage County Creameries -- early creameries.
- Plover and the Civil War Draft -- a little know part of the Civil War. (Long article).
- Cottage Industries-- a family run business described as "family skeleton #1".
- Lynching -- Portage County's only lynching.
- Home Remedies -- examples of folk remedies.
- Rosholt Pioneer Museum -- see another Historical Society's site.
Radio has been an important part of Wisconsin history since 1917. In that year 9XM went on the air. It is now WHA out of Madison. This station holds the world record for continuous broadcasting time. Here are some radio stories about Portage County and around the state.
- Radio -- Early radio as Jim Schuh remembers.
- Radio History in Stevens Point -- by Jim Shuh in 3 parts.
- What's in the Call Letters? -- A list of radio call letters.
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.