School histories can be a great help to genealogist. They also provide insight into the importance early settlers placed on free public education.
Currently, the Stevens Point Public School District has all of its 4th grade students attend a half day in our Hie Corner one room school house. In Wisconsin 4th graders study Wisconsin history. A new curriculum beginning in 2002-03 will have 3rd graders studying Portage County history.
Our most complete collection of one room school histories is from Belmont Township contained in History and Memories by Wayne A Guyant. Abbreviated histories of these schools will appear on this page in the future.
Some school histories are included with the Church Histories.
- Early Nelsonville School Records -- Old school records found.
- Early Nelsonville Schools -- More information about Nelsonville schools.
- My Little Red School Houses Were White --Memories of teaching in Portage County Rural schools in the 20's and 30’s by Ethelyn Wrolstad Aanrud Teacher.
- The Northern Institute -- First Female Seminary in Portage County.
- St. Paul Lutheran School -- operating from 1891 to present.
- History of Hei Corner School -- the story of our one room schoolhouse.
- Amherst Schools-- History of the early schools.
- Rosholt Schools -- some early Rosholt area schools (includes some New Hope and Sharon schools).
- Higher Education-- high on county's priority list
- Educational Evolution-- one-room schools made way for consolidation.
- Pacelli and Maria High Schools -- Catholic High Schools in Stevens Point.
UWSP or University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point as it is known today. This school initially started as Stevens Point Normal School in 1893, opening in 1894. (Same year as Hie Corner one room school.) Read our section on UWSP History.