This section provides some General History of the county. Included here are tours of the county in general, the Polish Heritage Highway and the Polish Heritage Trail.
The second area is the history of the Townships that make up Portage County.
Our maps section has been moved to the Geology/Geography section.
- County Board Predates County -- Some information about early government of County.
- First Decade: First post offices, post masters.
- Newspapers in Portage County.
- Origin of some place names in our County.
- Origins of the county with census data. By Prof. Emeritus Maurice Perret.
- Poland to Portage County -- Story of early Polish settlers.
- Polish Heritage Highway-- State Hwy 66.
- Polish Heritage Trail -- A car or bicycle tour of Polish Heritage sites in Portage County.
- Postal Service in Portage County.
- The Wisconsin Pinery -- the first newspaper in Stevens Point, some exerts.
- Time Line of the History of Portage County.
- Tour of Portage County -- Written about 1980 with historic photos added.
- Overview of Townships.
- Eastern Townships:
- Western Townships: