This is from the pages of "Portage County, of place and time"
Since Stevens Point was considered the most important village in the county, it is no surprise that it had the first newspaper in the county. A weekly, the Wisconsin Pinery was first published January 14, 1853.
Plover, the county seat, also had a weekly newspaper, the Plover Herald, first published in 1856. From 1857 to 1861 the newspaper was published under the name of Stanton Times, the name some of the inhabitants preferred to call their village. In 1864 the newspaper was consolidated with the Republican and its name became the Stanton Times and Republican. In 1863 the name was changed again and it became the Plover Times. Although the county seat was moved from Plover to Stevens Point in 1867, the Plover Times continued to be published until 1881. Since that time however, no newspaper has been published in Plover.
In 1863 another newspaper began publication in Stevens Point. It was called The Wisconsin Lumberman, but in 1870 the name was changed to Point. In 1872 the newspaper was renamed to Stevens Point Journal.
In 1878 the Portage County Gazette was founded as a weekly. It became a daily in 1885. In 1919 the Gazette was consolidated with the Stevens Point Journal. Because the latter newspaper had become a daily publication in 1895, the consolidated version took the title of Stevens Point Daily Journal. It is presently the only English language newspaper published in Stevens Point. Gwiazda Polarna (Northern Star), a Polish language weekly, was founded in 1908 and continues publication to this day.
A few additional newspapers were started in Stevens Point, but ceased publication after several issues or several years. Wisconsin State Rights, a weekly, came out in 1861. It was founded in 1859 in Monroe by N. L. Stout, who moved it to Stevens Point in March of 1861. Stout suspended publication in November of that same year when he enlisted in the Union Army.
In 1873 a monthly called Sensation began but lasted only until the following year. Hungerford’s Real Estate Journal was published from 1879 to 1886. The Stevens Point Democrat, a weekly, was published from 1880 to 1885. Wisconsin Eagle, also a weekly, was founded in 1884 but ceased publication in November 1885.
In 1894 publication of a Wisconsin State Press weekly began. The same year the title was changed to The Stevens Point Press which continued until 1896. From 1935 to 1939 Central Wisconsin Herald a weekly, was published.
Newspapers in foreign languages also appeared but they remained for only a brief time except for Gwiazda Polarna. Niedziela (Sunday in Polish) was founded in 1872, but only lasted until 1874. From 1892 to 1899 the Stevens Point Post, a German language weekly was published. Rolnik (Plowman), in 1891, lasted only a brief time. From 1930 to 1935, Jaskolka (Swallow), a monthly in Polish was published; from 1938 to 1940 Sloneczko (A Little Sun), a weekly Polish magazine for children, was published.
Villages also had their own newspapers but none has survived. Almond’s Portage County Press, founded in 1901, became the Almond Press in 1924 but was discontinued in 1931. Amherst had the Amherst Advocate from 1893 to 1964, the Amherst Pioneer and the Tomorrow River Times from 1975 to 1981. Bancroft had the Bancroft News from 1908 to 1909, and Junction City had the Community Press in 1946. Rosholt had the Rosholt Echo from 1905 to 1906, the Rosholt Record from 1910 to 1913, the Rosholt Journal from 1913 to 1918, the Rosholt Review from 1920 to 1924 and the Community Press from 1926 to 1930. All village newspapers were weeklies.
Most newspapers were started as one-man projects with the purpose of expressing the publisher’s ideas and opinions. Many newspapers died out when the first publishers quit and found no one to replace them.
On July 2, 1999 the Portage County
Gazette made it reappearance. This weekly was started by several former
owners and staffers of the Stevens Point Daily Journal.