Educational Material for Teaching
Portage County & Wisconsin History
The Society has a number of means for providing history lessons to interested parties. Among them are our Half Day at our Hie Corner One Room School House. This program began in 1998 and continues today. Each year 800 - 1,000 students participate.
Suggested source material for 3rd Grade Portage County History instruction is presented here.
Suggested source material for 4th Grade Wisconsin History instruction with a combination of offsite and onsite material.
In addition, the Society can provide specialized programs presented by our members. Contact us for more information.
A must visit to our Nation's Archives to read and download our primary documents of freedom!
The geography of Wisconsin was formed by a series of Ice Ages. Here in Portage County we have ample evidence of this geologic event. Visiting the "Wisconsin Geological & Natural History" site will provide detailed information.
- Wisconsin maps - from the National Atlas Project.
- Portage County Plat Book 1895 - from our site. Photos of this platt book, large files.
- We strongly suggest you visit our Geography/Geology section more maps and other useful material on Portage County.
Land Survey Information
The Wisconsin Geological Survey provides much information and downloadable material. Of great value is the "Understanding Wisconsin township, range, and section land descriptions" located at the bottom of the Online Page.
- Land Survey System - an explanation of Township, Range and Section.
- Hathaway's Field Notes - Joshua Hathaway made extensive notes as he surveyed the county in the 1830's. Others followed him with more extensive field notes in the 1850's.
Tours of Portage County, Wisconsin already available on this site
- View historic Time Line.
- Read the 1857 "Handbook of Stevens Point"
- Drive the Polish Heritage Highway in Portage County
- Or, take the Polish Heritage Trail.
- Take a Tour of Portage County.