Maps, Geology and Geography Information about Portage County Wisconsin
We will provide as much historical map information as possible about the county. Map to our Museums.
How Wisconsin Was Surveyed
The methods used to survey land is largely unknown to the general public. But, the Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes and Plat Maps site offers a complete explanation of this method as well as access to the original field notes and maps compiled by the surveyors.
This section has links to our maps as well as external links to free printable map providers.
- Map of Portage County (33k).
- Map of Wisconsin (285k).
- Map of Central Wisconsin (30k).
- Map of Townships (7k).
A Portage County Plat Book for 1895 has been photographed using a digital camera.
The following maps are from "Page-Size Maps of Wisconsin" published by: University of Wisconsin - Extension and Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey, 3817 Mineral Point Road, Madison WI., 53705-5100.
- Bedrock Geology of Wisconsin (168k).
- Ice Age Deposits of Wisconsin (150k).
- Early Vegetation of Wisconsin (126k).
- Landforms of Wisconsin (109k).
- Soil Regions of Wisconsin (180k).
The following maps are in pdf format. Maps available from the Wisconsin Historical Society also.
- British Era fur trading posts 1760-1815.
- American Era fur trading posts 1815-1850.
- American Forts and Exploration ca 1820.
- Military Roads 1815-1862.
- Wisconsin counties 1835.
- Wisconsin counties 1850.
- Wisconsin counties 1870.
- Wisconsin counties 1901.
- Wisconsin Railroads 1865.
- Wisconsin Railroads 1873.
- Wisconsin Railroads 1936.
- From National Atlas, a government agency, are printable maps of all the states and more.
- This link is located in France and provides free printable maps covering all countries.
The Society will embark on a project during the summer of 2009 and continuing onward to provide county maps with geotag information locating:
- Small Communities.
- Cemetery Locations.
- Locations of School Houses, one-room and others of historic value.
- Catholic Churches.
- Lutheran Churches.
- Other Churches.
- Historic sites within the communities
Portage County Ice Age Trail
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.