The Society has been publishing books since shortly after it was formed. We sell our publications at area events and through a few local stores.
Since 2007 we have included the republishing of articles in booklet format. These are available at very low cost.
At the present time we can not take orders over the Internet. Please go to our Publication List or print out our Order Form. And consider joining the Portage County Historical Society. Print out the membership form.
Our publications are divided into five categories:
- Hard Cover -- Major works about Portage County.
- Pocket Books -- Interesting vignettes of Portage County.
- Genealogy -- Books of interest to genealogists.
- Booklets -- Reprints of articles/booklets.
- Misc. -- This covers many types of works.
- Our County, Our Story -- Malcolm Rosholt's history of Portage County. No longer available in print, the Portage County Library System has digitalized the book and made it available in pdf format.
- Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin River (1895) -- The Wisconsin Historical Society offers this in digital format (pdf).
- Wisconsin Historical Society Digital Collection -- many county histories available here (pdf format).