This site has been redesigned to facilitate people's efforts to do research on Portage County and genealogy. To this end we are providing links to off-site sources as well as links within our site.
- Malcolm Rosholt Online Archives -- contains hundreds of articles.
- Railroad History -- this sub web has articles concerning all things regarding railroading in Central Wisconsin and beyond.
- Educational Material -- we are building lesson plans, field trips itineraries and general history for use of this site in the classroom.
The UWSP Archives serves a nine county area that includes Adams, Juneau, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Portage, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood Counties. The Area Research Center (ARC) contains public records, corporate records, personal papers and genealogical sources (i.e. tax rolls, naturalization records (see Tips for Searching Naturalization Records), oral histories, as well as birth, death, marriage, and census materials).
The Portage County Historical Society's web site is hosted by the UWSP Archives making it possible for us to offer historical information about Portage County, Wisconsin. A link to the UWSP Archives is on the bottom of each page of this site.
Genealogy is a rapidly growing pastime for many people. This site can provide some family information. For detailed information go to UWSP's Archive and Area Research Center page for Census, Cemetery Locator, and Obituaries.
To search this site use our Search Page (this will search only this site), look at our Biography section in our Malcolm Rosholt Online Archives, and take a quick look at our Military History section concerning military bio's.
Off-Site and Digital Copies
- Wisconsin State Historical Society -- vast collection of material online
- Wisconsin Historical Society Digital Collection -- access to there digitized collections.
- Our County, Our Story -- Malcolm Rosholt's history of Portage County. No longer available in print, the Portage County Library System has digitalized the book and made it available in pdf format.
- Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin River (1895) -- The Wisconsin Historical Society offers this in digital format (pdf).
- Wisconsin Historical Society Digital Collection -- many county histories available here (pdf format).